Friday 2 March 2012

Make us a brew, Mr Scruff!

Credit where is due. If we are going to be serious and consistent about this tea-drinking business, I think it is only fair to acknowledge and thank those who have been on the front line, relentlessly promoting and defending a culture and way of life ('life tastes better with a nice cup of tea' is one of my mottos) that, it would appear, has found a new and unexpected travelling companion in the form of those atrocious café chains that have sprung up like mushrooms over the last decade or so;if you have found yourself in any UK's high street, surrounded by smart and busy people drinking coffee out of large mugs with sophisticaded Italian names, you'll know what I mean.
Don't get me wrong, I love coffee as much as the next person and I think that drinking coffee and tea are absolutely compatible habits but... I am quite wary of this new trend that all of sudden has made drinking coffee in those unbelievably impersonal cafés an enjoyable experience.
Thanks to people like Mr. Scruff, I have the feeling that drinking tea is not only 'cool' or fashionable or whatever...it's actually the right thing to do!
So credit to this Manchester-born Dj, cartoonist and self-confessed tea drinker who has been spreading the 'gospel' for over a decade now; you may or may not like his music (a sort of electronic base with loads of other styles added to the brew) but there is something that makes  his shows irresistible and that is because of the visuals projected, adding a plus of originality and quirkiness that has won him over loyal audiences accross the UK and beyond.  I mean,what can be more charming that the sight of a DJ duly crafting his set with a nice cup of tea next to him?
To make things even better (or should I say tastier), whenever he plays at a festival, he sets up a tent where people can buy stuff such as tea (organically produced), t-shirts, mugs, tea towels...so you can become a proud member of the 'make us a brew' gang! If you can't catch him live, you  can (you must!) visit his online shop (makeusabrew.com).
But now that the the weekend is knocking on the door, I should stop rambling, grab a cuppa, turn up the volume and play 'Get a move on'  and go wherever my feet may take me. I humbly but firmly advise you to do the same. 'You better keep moving or you'll be left behind'.

No comments:

Post a Comment