Thursday 19 July 2012

A Soundtrack for a Revolution

 Ain't let nobody turn me around
'We were ordinary people doing extraordinary things' says civil rights activist Julian Bond and it somehow perfectly sums up the spirit of this fantastic documentary that retraces the story of the U.S.Civil Rights Movement.Through the testimonies of the some of the Movement's main voices and participants, this heartfelt and moving documentary takes us back to an era that is hard, if not impossible, to imagine;such was the level of discrimination for African-Americans at that time.Thankfully, the uncompromising fight for freedom and equality showed by people who were not prepared to put up any longer with such barbarism and brutality inflicted by White supremacists serves -or should serve- as inspiration for present and future generations.
To my delight, and to that of music lovers in general, the documentary is greatly enhanced by absolutely cracking performances by artists such as The Roots, The Blind Boys of Alabama and John Legend whose cover versions of some of the most powerful and symbolic songs associated to the Movement provide unforgettable moments of pride and passion for a cause that shaped the United States' recent history.
Among the wealth of information and worthwhile projects we read about daily, I can't quite remember how I found out abut this brilliant documentary but I'm glad I did and that I dug further and managed to get a copy, one that I will cherish for years to come.Which side are you on?


No comments:

Post a Comment